Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First 4 months


First 4 months
Originally uploaded by kareeyore.

So today I went to the doctor for Elijah's 4 month appointment. He has grow an inch and his head has grown but he weighs the exact same as he did at his 2 month appointment. I am so frustrated! I know he is eating and that he isn't fussy between meals so I don't know what else I should do. The Dr. suggested supplimenting with formula. I don't want to do that, we have fought too long and too hard to screw it up with formula. I would rather give him cereal but she wants me to wait until he is 6 months. I feel so torn, in my heart I think she is wrong and that formula is a bad idea for him. He is so healthy and hasn't even had a cold. He rolls from back to belly and belly to back and has for a month which is very advanced. He has strong legs and good muscles. The only thing they can say about him is he is small. Should I really be trying to get him to gain weight solely for the purpose of gaining weight when in all other aspects he is beyond great? The other thing is when I was a baby they kept a watch on me for not gaining enough weight and Brad's Mom said she went through the same thing as Brad. They fussed and fussed about our slow weight gain and now both of us now struggle with obesity. If that is the case would it be better to not force the issue and let him gain weight as he sees fit?

I have been thinking things over and I am really tired of taking the hard road on everything. Just once I would love to just have things go as they should. They say the universe gives you things to teach you. Man haven't I learned this lesson already? I know this may not make a lot of sense to some people reading this but it seems like nothing ever goes how I intend. Yes a lot of times the way it does go is fine but still I would love for something to go right.

3 comments:

The Q said...

I have a friend who went though something very similar as you. She breast fed exclusively (because that's all he'd eat well past 6 months of age). To this day, he's still very small but otherwise healthy (He'll be 2 years old in May) and now eats pretty much anything.

She too was told she needed to supplement, but he honestly would NOT have anything to do with it.

I'm so sorry you're facing bumps and detours at every turn :-(

Hang in there!!

mama biscuit said...

Karin, you do what you feel is best for you baby and don't let anyone strong-arm you into anything. If this is something you and Brad went through as infants, odds are he's just following in your footsteps.

After working with kids for 17 years I've learned when they are hungry, they will eat. When they aren't hungry it's pointless to force them......not to mention it is a great way to give them issues with food that will haunt them for life.

Ian ranks very poorly in his weight, well below the 50th percentile. But you know what? He's just today 10 months old, he's been walking for a month and he's too smart for his own good. So what if he's little?

Disneysue said...

You know your son better than the Dr's do. I say as long as hes not loosing weight, who cares how much and how fast he gets bigger. As long as your not completely dismissing what your Dr says (which I know you wouldnt do) but maybe take it into your library of information, just do what you think is best for your son.