Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Dope and the Pope

So I was trying to watch the news yesterday and it was being interrupted by the Pope celebration at the white house. At the end of the Pope's Speech the President stood and turned to the Pope and said "stay here there will be one more song" The tone in which the president said it seemed some what condescending, like you are talking to a senile old fool. Then they both sat in the chairs and waited for the song. There was a long pause of weird silence while the song did not in fact start. I started to giggle look yet again it is Our Dope with their Pope. The song did eventually start but I couldn't help but wonder if the choir was scrambling to sing something anything there because they weren't suppose to sing something but the President said there was a song so they had to sing something. Then the more I sat there the madder I started to get. How much of our tax dollars were going to pay for this religious leader to be in our country and visit our leaders. Excuse me but don't we have a separation of church and state. Do we roll out the carpet and allow all other religious leaders private counsel with the Dope, no. I have never seen such elaborate ceremony for a world leader either so arguing that he runs a nation doesn't hold water with me either. I am sorry but we are at war and our dollar is very weak we do not have the extra money to be carelessly tossing at a religious group. I am sorry but any other religion that wants to have their leader come to the US or their state or wherever is responsible to foot the bill of what that will cost. Including travel and security. It just rubs my nerves to see this visit and think about the money we are wasting.

2 comments:

mama biscuit said...

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut so as not to offend any catholics :)

I will say happy weekend though. Kisses to the boy.

Karin said...

I really don't mean any offense to Catholics in this post. My niece and SIL are catholic and I would say this directly to them. This is really more about the government thinking they can continue to spend whatever money they want because there are still checks in the checkbook. I think that we should not be footing the bill for a religious leader of any religion to come and visit. This stems from the fact that currently our dollar is so weak that companies are raising the prices on all the goods here so that they aren't losing money by selling to America, Canon will be one of them in the coming weeks.