Saturday, April 12, 2008

My weekend in Pictures

We were going to go to a chocolate expo today at the Queen Mary as my birthday weekend day of fun. It was a great plan but then last night they cancelled the event? What were we to do, you can't promise a birthday girl a day of chocolate and then take it back wars have started over less. So Brad came up with a plan, he would create a special day of chocolate just for me. So we loaded up the boy.

We are going on an adventure

And headed out the door. we went to visit this friendly little man:

Beard Papa

and ordered this:

Strawberry Eclair

Yummy. Practically heaven. Then we were leaving there and we had a minor mishap with a bad parker. He sraped the whole rear side of my car with his car. No big deal really though there was no body damage and a simple paint job should fix it all up. So we continued on our way to the first shop.

The Look

They had a coffee vodka chocolate that could get you drunk in no time. We bought some chocolate covered pomegrante from here and again were on our way. We then walked to the next spot which was ok but not really noteworthy. So we got back in the car and tried to go to the next place. There was no parking and after a couple of attempts we decided that we could skip them. So downtown we went. We found these:

The Look

The most unique flavors were a korean garlic truffle that Brad tried and a basil dark chocolate truffle that we both tried. They were surprisingly good and we left there happy on chocolately bliss. We also learned that these chocolates are sold at a wine bar in our little downtown area just a couple of blocks from home. By now we were over due for lunch and the boy needed to be fed and I needed something a little healthier. We stopped at California Chicken Cafe and had salads while the boy nursed and then dined on sweet potatoes, and then a prune apple combo. It sounds gross to me but he liked it so we will leave it alone. We got back on the road and headed to the next place where we found this:

The Look

This was probably our favorite over all chocolate place of the day. They had unique flavor combos and were very friendly. Our favorite was a Sea salt honey peanut butter chocolate truffle. Yummy! We ended up ordering chocolate covered matzah from them that I will pick up Friday and try to resist trying everything in the store while I am there. We then got in the car and went to one more chocolate place before heading home tired and chocolatey. The place was ok but not quite up to the caliber of the other places we went to though out the day. Brad and I thought we were tired but apparently our adventure tuckered the boy out as well. He nursed and then played for a little but then whined for a nap. I layed him down in his pack and play and he went off to dream land. I expected him to wake up by 8 to have his last nursing and solid foods of the day. At 9:30 I decided to wake him up. I looked in at the pack in play and he looked as if he had been on a bender. We did take pictures but they are still on the camera. I picked him up and he pouted and fought to stay asleep with all his might but eventually he woke up and we were able to feed him. We gave him his dinner and let him play so hopefully he got retired enough to sleep through the night. Only time will tell. All in all it was a great adventure and we had a lot of chocolate.


******all pictures in this post are courtesy of Brad Herman, I did not shoot even one of them so should not be given any artistic credit. I will take credit for boy cuteness though as I did create him. ******

8 comments:

mama biscuit said...

:) This post made me smile. It's been a long, long time since I've heard you sound so content. You've had such a rough year.

I also like how you were so drunk with chocolate you didn't even care that someone scratched your new car.

Oh and of course the boy is adorable. Please tell Brad that I love the processing he did on it!

I hope your Sunday is equally nice.

Karin said...

Well Beard Papa's cream puffs are heavenly and I wasn't going to let anything ruin my creaming filling buzz. Actually the car had a small little scrape where he scraped it up that pissed me off every time I saw it and now it will be fixed so I looked at it as a bonus. Brad said thank you he is loving his new macbook pro and all the photo processing software he got.

Kari said...

Oooohhh! Chocolate. Sorry the Queen Mary cancelled their event that would have been PERFECT!

I miss the Queen Mary and the Long Beach Harbor. I used to walk that harbor almost every day for over a year with my mom while she was on one of her diets. We would always stop at the Greek restaurant to get a diet coke after walking the park so we'd have something to drink while we walked the harbor. :-)

My 5th grade class took a field trip to the Queen Mary when it had an aquarium inside. It was cool! You could touch sea urchins and everything - man that was a LONG time ago.

Some days I miss California, but I really do love living in TN now. :-) I need to visit CA. I haven't been back in aobut 15 years. That's just sad.

Kari said...

Oh, and everything Ty's Girl said, too. LOL. I guess I got involved in memories. Sorry.

Big Mama said...

Oh Karin! Your Littleman is getting SO big! He is absolutely beautiful! Don't take away a woman's chocolate dreams, especially on a birthday weekend... LOL!!! Happy Birthday and I agree with Tysgirl, it sounds great to hear you so content, you deserve it!

eyes_only4him said...

OMG, your baby...is...ADORABLE...he is getting so big Karin..

I am not a chocolate liker, but some of that stuff looked good..

Unknown said...

Look at how big he is getting!! Man I really love the processing Brad did on that photo. It sounds like you had a really nice birthday weekend.

The Q said...

YUM!!! Chocolate. Looks and sounds like an all around awesome day (except for the car incident).

E is absolutely ADORABLE!!! My goodness.