Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Rejection




Hopefully above is a stop motion movie I took of a recent sunset. If it isn't there what can I say oh well something else I suck at.

So part of why I have been absent from here is that I have been focusing my energy on finding a job. This is by no means an easy prospect for me. First it is admitting that I am not capable of making a go at my own business. This in and of itself was a hard blow to my ego. Then there is the whole process of scouring the job boards sending out resumes and going to interviews. I hate this more than I can ever describe. Some of you may have the mistaken impression that I am a confident person, this is not true. I fill out each application knowing that in every aspect of me that there is someone that can do it better. So I go and I fake being the confident person. I try to believe that I am the best for the job and that really I am the best qualified. Some times I pull it off and I see myself as good enough for the position. I feel like if I fooled me I should have fooled them too. I leave the interview and wait for the call to see if I am chosen. The phone never rings. I suck up all my courage secretly knowing if I have to call them I didn't get the job, but I call none the less, still trying not to get my hopes up. They answer and tell me "We decided to go with another candidate." I choke back tears and say quickly before they get the best of me thank you, and hang up. The rest of the day I will now spend analyzing everything. What was the reason, was I too fat, too stupid, too underqualified, too over qualified. Was I just not likeable, did I have something on my teeth? Did I try to hard, or not hard enough? All in all the questions come and the only real answer is that there is always someone better than me. So then this new question arises, how many better people are trying for the same jobs as I am before I am found good enough. Why does this whole process reduce me to the kid on the playground being the last picked for dodgeball? How do I continue this process when I feel more beaten by the day?

Beyond all this though there are the people that you tell you scored an interview that are rooting for you. Now that you once again were found wanting how do you face them and tell them you failed? I feel like crap and really talking about this is about the last thing I want to do, yet there are so many people that know, so I must put it out there.

So I have stayed away from here because quite frankly I feel like crap about myself and the knowledge that even here I am not good enough, smart enough, or clever enough to receive much feedback is more than my ego could handle. But right now I am feeling pretty low because truth be told this was the job I wanted and I know I was qualified for it. I know I would have been good at it. I know I wanted it more and that the person that got it only wanted a job and not this job. So my first thought was that I hope this person sucks at the job and that every day the manager kicks herself for choosing poorly. I know that is not the right way to feel but I can't help it. I need the encouragement of my little blog family, and I will try to forget how much better at this some of you are than me.

I do have other jobs that I have interview with or applied for that are still in the works and so in a couple of days this can all resolve and I will feel stupid for feeling so raw about it. But if any of you out there are hiring people please remember what it feels like to be the person applying. We would love feedback without chasing you down. We are vulnerable. We are taking some serious hits to our egos so be gentle with us. Don't ask for a lot of information form them if you don't plan to hire them. If you know in the interview you won't be hiring them let them know then so they aren't waiting for you.

10 comments:

The Q said...

First off, you don't suck. The video worked just fine. Very pretty indeed.

Second, EVERYONE HAS BEEN WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW!!! I don't mean to shout, but I want to make sure you hear me.

I have been lucky enough to have scored every job that I've ever interviewed for (watch I just totally jinxed myself for when our business flops and I have to go back into Corporate America),BUT I have talked myself out of interviewing for SO, SO many. Self doubt is a bitch.

The only reason that I got the jobs that I interviewed for is because I limited myself. If I had interviewed for MORE, I would have been rejected. It's the law of probabilities or some shit.

I also worked at jobs that I hated because of the limits I placed on myself. I didn't even want to try for fear of failure.

You're TRYING not FAILING, there's a difference.

Bottom line: You do NOT suck and not everyone has the skill or ability to even attempt to run your own business. You're so much better for trying than you even realize.

I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but hang in there.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Karin said...

Thnak you Soozieq somehow I knew you would understand what I was getting at. I am glad the video worked it was having lots of trouble closing the html. I so don't know what that means though.

Jenn said...

I could see the video! Very cool.

I hope someday you can start your own business. That is my dream too.

I second soozieq... you do not suck as long as you are putting yourself out there and trying.

The best is yet to come!

By the way, I am the queen of insecurity. I don't think I can even fake it.

SassyFemme said...

Aww, Karin. {{{{ }}}} I don't think I can say much more than soozieq said, she said it all. Just one thing, I believe we end up where we're supposed to be, so there's something else out there for you, someplace, that you just haven't gotten yet. Hang in there.

eyes_only4him said...

you dont suck, and u will find the perfect job, and I am sending you good vibes..

u can do it..and i cant wait to hear about the new job when u snag it..

love ya girl..chin up:)

Disneysue said...

You sooooooo dont suck in the bad way K! You are a lot more brave than you are giving yourself credit for. You risked working for yourself! It may be hybernating right now, but it could reawaken at exactly the right moment.

You are not a failure, you are not a looser, you dont suck. You are not a failure, you are not a looser, you dont suck. You are not a failure, you are not a looser, you dont suck. I will say it enought times until you believe it.

Im not just saying this because your my best friend, my sister. Im saying it cause its true. Doubting yourself is not bad, its natural. Some of us arent even comfortable enough in our skills to leave a job that we have been doing since we were 18, even after we graduated college. (Gee, dont know who that could be)

Be patient the place your supposed to be will come along soon. I'll call you tomorrow after I get off work. I love you!!!!

PinkCat said...

Oh my Karin, I don't really know what to say. I haven't worked outside of the home for the last ten years. I can imagine how horrible and frustrating it must be to not get the job you want. Don't beat yourself up though sweetie. You are a wonderful and brilliant person. The right job that was made just for you will come along. Its just round the corner lovey.

I loved the sunet vid....

Take care and I wanted to say thanks for the nice words on my comments. I too need my blogging buddies.

xxxxxxx

The Mad Hatter said...

Firstly kitty kat, thank you for sharing that beautiful video with us, and you dont suck, hey at least you managed to put the video on YOUR blog which is more than I could do ;-)

Secondly, you are one of the nicest and beautiful people I have come to have in my life, and I think everyone here will agree with me on that, so please dont ever be down on yourself, you cant know how you brighten my day :-)

My propasal is that you come here and the 3 of us make a go of 'the business' together, it would be perfect! With you and fairy as chef's and my cheeky face, well what more could anyone ask for ;-)

I love you Kaz, and please remember that :-)
We send you lots of hugs and kisses from this side XxXxXxXxXxXxX

Michele_3 said...

Oh Karin-please don't beat yourself up, you don't suck one bit...Your a very smart beautiful person!
I know how we all can get so disappointed in things life brings us -but there is always another way of looking at things. Maybe, you didn't get that job because there is actually a BETTER one waiting for you, I really am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason..
I think in your case it is just because the right opportunity(sp?) hasn't risen yet- Hang in there girlfriend, your going to get something you love & I can't wait to hear about it when you do!
Thanks for sharing the video- Very Beautiful!
Sending ((((HUGS))))
your way today!
:)

Karin said...

Thank you everyone. In my heart I know that there will be a better oppertunity down the road and that I just need to be patient. I am feeling better about the whole thing and this job was kind of shooting for the moon. I know that if I instead shoot a little lower like the clouds it will give me the experience to reach the moon. I am hoping to hear from some other things that may be a little more what I am experienced for. Saying all that I really did want the other job and it sucks that I didn't get it. On the plus side because of my bad day the Hubs took me out to dinner at Outback last night, it was yummy.