Monday, July 31, 2006

Beware this could be in your home.

We are often not aware of the hidden dangers that are lurking in our homes. We live our lives believing we are safe and secure in our little bubbles. Then out of no where something happens that is so frightening you never feel quite as safe again. This weekend I had one of those experiences. Please treat this as a warning as this danger could be in your home as well. It all started innocently enough Sunday morning. I clicked on the TV and handed my husband the remote so we could watched Entourage on demand in bed. We watched the show and all was still well. When the show ended my husband started flipping through the On Demand menus and that is when the horrible happened. He found On Demand Karaoke. Not only did he find it he decided to try it. Now my husband has many gifts and is talented at so many things, but singing is not one of them. He picked a song by R. Kelly, yes the pediphile, that he had probably never even heard before and began trying to belt it from bed. It was bad folks and I feel that as long as the cable company keeps this feature my ears may be in jeopardy. So I am issuing this warning, if your cable company offers this feature you could be in danger as well. Also if you keep looking at the screen you may find yourself caught up in the excitement as well. The neighborhood dogs will bark and howl from the shear pain caused by noises coming from your home.

When Brad and I went to register for our wedding we joked about the fact that we were registering for a lot of things we didn't really need but we could not register for the one thing we really needed a new kitchen table. You see our dining set was purchased as a cheap set by my brother when he was in college. It had been handed down to me and was now in pretty poor shape. The other problem was that it was a found table that couldn't expand so the most we could sit at the table was four people and we like to have people over for dinner and often didn't have enough room. The original chairs for the table had long ago broken and so we had a miss match of chairs for the table that weren't really safe to be sat on. So we agreed that we would use some of the cash we got as a wedding present to buy ourselves a new table and chairs. This was no small task because we have a very small area for the table and so we wanted it to be pretty small for daily use but to expand to fit 8 ideally. We also understand that picking a table to fit our current space but not have the ability to expand would be foolish because we will not be living in a townhouse forever and we may need a bigger table when we have a bigger house. So we went to Ikea one day to look at picture frames to start hanging some of our wedding and honeymoon pictures. When we were there we found the perfect table. It folds down and fits 2 chairs like a bistro table and is perfect for Brad and I day to day. Then you lift a side and the table will now fit 4 or 5 comfortably. Then you lift the other side and can fit 6 to 8 with no problem. Granted fitting 8 people at the table in our kitchen will be a tight fit but now on the rare occasion we need to we don't have to pull out the tacky plastic folding table. We bought 6 chairs to go with the table and we figure we can use the 2 chairs that go with Brad's old table if we need to seat 8. Currently though we have nowhere to keep 8 chairs if we had bought them so we will make do. Now on to the shear brilliance of this story. When you buy stuff from Ikea you have to assemble it. Now normally I love this part of the process cause it is like Legos for grown ups. I will volunteer to help people put their stuff together. I know I have a problem. The thing is it was hot this week end. As you all know by now we don't have airconditioning. So we were melting trying to put these chairs and table together, take apart the old table and rearranging the furniture. You know you are loved when your husband tells you, you stink. I am absolutely in love with my new dining set though and I can't wait to have people over for dinner to try it out. I suppose I should have taken pictures of the table before I wrote this whole thing. Well if you are lucky maybe later today I will take some pictures and post them for you.

Ok I never talk about food that I make because I feel a little weird about it. I guess I feel like it is bragging about something I have been trained to do so it isn't fair. Today though I am going to break my rules cause they were just to good not to share. Last night I made burgers. First I defrosted the ground meat and then I put it on wax paper on a cookie sheet and flattened it out to fill the cookie sheet. Then I took diced fresh rosemary and garlic and spread it over the top of the meat. Next I grated fresh Pecorino cheese over the meat in a generous layer. Lastly I seasoned the meat with seasoned salt and pepper. Then I folded the meat layer in half and then sectioned it into burgers. I did 8 mini burgers or you could do 4 regular burgers. I grilled them up and when I flipped them I topped each burger with Cayhill cheddar cheese (a cheddar made with guiness beer) I put the burgers on toasted potato rolls and they were so good, nobody talked all the way through dinner. I am now toying with other ideas on what to stuff in my next batch of burgers. Anyway if any of you come up with some other stuffed burger ideas, that would actually be edible, no booger burgers Susie, I would love to hear about them.

11 comments:

The Q said...

Ooooh oooh oooh!!!

:::raises hand, waves it frantcially:::

I want to come over and test out your new table and have you cook for me. But no snake, cat or dog....mmmkay? ;-)

Karin said...

I will definately cook for you if you come over and I promise no snake, cat, or dog. I can not promise no one will have to sit through bad karaoke though so you might want to think about it before you leap to action.

eyes_only4him said...

ok..the burgers have me watering at the mouth..

and oh my goodness..on demand kareokee..i SO need that:)

Michele_3 said...

You got me so hungry for burgers now-LOL!
Congrats on the new table- We need a new dining room table badly..
I also don't have patience to put anything together-I know I'm bad..
LOL!

PinkCat said...

Those burgers sound so fab. What does sectioned mean. I am too tired to read the other comments but will come back tomorrow. I love food and you can tell. LOL

Take care xx

Karin said...

Bossy be careful what you wish for, it is very scary.

Michele- that's ok I will gladly put it together for you, yep I am sick.

Britmum- sectioned means to divide the meat into equal portions to be cooked. I cut the whole thing in half so there were to long sections then I cut the two long sections in 4ths thus making 8 equal sized square burgers. I just cooked them square so all the stuff stayed in the middle.

The Mad Hatter said...

Cor blimey sweetie,
fairy is a full on veggie and I just told her about your burgers and shes foaming at the mouth, she wants some, so do I, so the next bbq is round here huh? ;-)

Lots of love XxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Disneysue said...

.....dribble, dribble, drool drool....Okay, on my next visit to you, your makin that! Rain or shine! NUMMY!

I bet the people at Comcast were sittin around a table thinkin of ways to torture customers. What better way than having Kareokee whenever you want it, or dont want it. Now you dont even have the benefit of alcohol to blur your hearing!

Anonymous Fat Blogger said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so starving now that I read about those burgers! They sound yummy!!!

Love the karaoke! I need that!

SassyFemme said...

Those burgers sounds delicious. I usually just use montreal grill seasoning on ours, but need to try what you did!

Karin said...

Maddy- you figured me out my secret desire is to convert all vegetarians back into meat eaters.

Susan- well hurry up and come down and I will make you burgers.

D- the next time you buy something from Ikea call me and I will put it together for you. I am not sure how welll burgers would mail.

Denise- since I made the burgers mini if you had one and a salad you would stay in your weight watcher points.

Susieba- of course I meant you with the boogers. As for the air conditioner we have called the installer but the part that is required for my very strict town is on severe back order and we can not get it installed until they can get the part from the manufacturer.

Sassy- I love montreal seasoning but these burgers didn't take any time to prepare so it was totally worth it. Be creative their are lots of things you can stuff in a burger.