Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Triumphant Return

So my trip to Napa was very successful yet expensive. My mom and I went shopping and we got her a dress for the wedding despite her hatred of shopping. I got dresses for all the pre and post wedding activities so I will be stylin. I found a hair dresser and I have that all set up. I loved my mock up do so I feel good about the stylist. It rained and poured while I was there and I even got some Hail. I also got to go into San Francisco and shop at Union Square. We left Macys at Union Square at 4:09 and we ran the whole way back to the Ferry Building and were on the Ferry by 4:30. I am not sure the actual distance between the two places but let me tell you that a fat girl and her 63 year old mother should not be able to make it that far in 20 minutes. We were the only people in all of San Francisco sweating.

This weekend Brad and I have been shopping non stop. We went and got all the supplies for our Temple to put on the Purim carnival next weekend, plus all the food for me to cater all week. By the time we were down we had a startling revelation that it was time for a new freezer as the little dorm sized freezer I had and the freezer on the fridge just weren't big enough to accommodate all the meat we now need to have on hand at any given time. We found a great chest freezer at Costco that wasn't as long as a lot of the other chest freezers and would fit perfectly into the space in the garage the old dorm freezer was in. The trick was could we get it into the car. It was 7 cubic feet of storage all together and we were pretty sure it had just enough clearance to go into the back of the MINI. So we bought it and a new monitor for Brad and asked the workers to help us load it into the car. They told Brad to move the car around and they would help to load. When Brad started to pull around the guys started to point and laugh saying at least we don't have to fit it into that. I said um yes that is exactly what you are fitting that into. They told me no way would it fit. I said yes it will and they again said no way. I again assured them it would fit we measured and they still didn't believe me. Brad says I should have bet them. We loaded it into the back of the MINI and then had enough room to put the new flat screen monitor behind it and close the boot completely. A perfect fit. Of course our chairs were mere inches from the dash and so Brad had a little difficulty using the clutch. I was carrying a large package of napkins so Brad couldn't see his mirror so I had to be the mirror on that side. The rear view mirror was useless so Brad drove very cautously straight home. But if you are ever wondering if you can fit a freezer in the back of a MINI the answer is yes.

Today was a bit of an interesting day, we had invited friends over to watch the awards but only one ended up able to make it so we have a lot of food in the house. Right before the awards we got a call from Brad's family that B's sisters really good friend, R, that we have met and will be coming and helping at the wedding lost his little 16 year old sister this morning in a car crash. The teens were going over 80 miles an hour and drove into a tree. The 2 passengers, one of which is R's sister died instantly. The driver was in serious condition and has since past away. Brad spent a lot of time on the phone with his sister helping her to find her way to R's families house so that she and friends could be with him right now. This just goes to show how important it is to say that you love someone and to make the most out of the time you spend together. When R last saw his sister it was Christmas break, he returned to school an hour and a half from home not knowing that he had just seen his sister for the last time. What would he have done differently during that break and the time between that break and now had he known how short her life would be. I think it is important to make the people in your life know how important they are to you and to not leave things unsaid. You never know if the last thing you say to someone is the last thing you are ever going to say to them. Let your words and deeds show your love. For all you parents out there please have a talk to your children about making good choices. Not to drive recklessly or to stay in a car with someone that does. If someone is drinking let your teen know they can call you to pick them up and you will not punish them for it. It is much better for you do drive them home on a night that they have made a few bad choices than for them to feel that your judgment of them would be worse than getting in the car with a drunk driver. Things like this scare me, when I think that someday I will have a teen and how I have raised them will effect all their decision making ability. How can I know the right things to teach my kids so that they will make better decisions. In any case hug someone today and tell them that you love them, don't leave things wishing you had changed them.

8 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

sounds like your shopping trip was a success..

that si so sad about the 16 year old girl..kids have no idea when they are driving a car that it is really a deadly weapon..so very sad..

Anonymous said...

Wow that gave me chills. I will be sure to call all my siblings today and tell them how much I love them! You are so absolutely right, life is too short to take advantage of the small things and family.

I think as far as raising your children right, you have to start early with the whole open thing, and make sure you back your words with your actions. Noone wants to hear that you will be there for them, and secretly you are getting mad when they do come to you about it. Sometimes just going through the actions is punishment enough!

keesh said...

it is true, life is just so short. It is hard to believe. Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Hope you enjoyed it even though it was so busy.

The Q said...

Wow. How awful. It's so true though. Life really should never, EVER be taken for granted.

I'm glad your trip was successful, but it sounded kinda tired. ALL.THAT.SHOPPING.

Maybe one of these times you're up in No. California we'll finally get to meet up.

Karin said...

bossy- yeah the shopping went well. I sometimes wonder if 16 is really old enough to drive, I think 18 would be a little better although the driver in the accident was 18.

RP- yes please let your sibs know how much you love them. I agree you do have to start early and actually parent your child.

Kish- Yeah we had a great weekend albeit it busy.

Soozieq- Well shopping with my Mom is a special kind of exhausting. Yes life is short so give Moto a hug.

susieba- Sometimes we have to see how short life is. My parents took picture of my hair but they are on their computer. I can't post it here anyway when I do get it cause Brad would see it. If you want to see it though when my mom finally emails it to me I will email it to you.

pack of 2 said...

That is so sad about the little girl.

good reminder.

Shelly

pack of 2 said...

I'm like your mom...hate shopping. I want to get in & out ASAP...LOL...I know that isn't normal girl behavior though.

S

Disneysue said...

Oh my, never doubt the cramming ability of the MINI! I would have LOVED to see the look on their faces!

Goodness K, Im soo sorry about Brads friend. How horrible :( Dont worry about your kids, they will be just like you hehehe!