Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Unplug Me Please

With all the news of Terri Shiavo I have been thinking of how terrible this whole situation is. Now I don't care what side of the issue you fall upon, I have my very strong opinion and that will not be changing anytime soon. My issue is dignity. I am sorry but the media circus that surrounds this issue is bad enough, some might even say distasteful, but to have your final days be spent with so much arguing has got to be terrible. What I wish for Terri is for her to rest in PEACE. There is little I can think of that would be worse than my family and Brad publicly fighting and ruining each other lives over me. So I would like to make it clear here and now I do not wish to be a stuffed animal on a bed. If all measures have been taken to make me better and have failed unplug me. I do not want a respirator, a feeding tube (Life without chocolate?). Some argue her brain is still working and she is still under all of this but unable to respond. This to me is way worse than if she wasn't alert. My brain being a prisoner to a body that can do nothing to respond, no thank you. Ears to hear what everyone is saying but the inability to communicate back. So I have a plan if my wishes are not heeded, I will obviously still die before you do and I will haunt you like there is no tomorrow. Every step you take I will be there making you live through a hell as you forced me to.

I guess the hardest thing for me in this whole mess is the relationship between Mike Shiavo and Terri's parents. I guess I really don't believe Mike is a bad guy. I think he honestly wants what is best for Terri as well as he would really like to move on. The thing about all this is when Terri is finally gone at some point they are going to realize how hurtful all this ones to everyone involved and maybe once they step outside of the situation they will see each others points. By then though it will be too late, actually it is already too late now. All of the mud slinging that has been done in the press can never be undone. Things that have happened can not unhappen. In the end these people have torn each other into little bits and robbed Terri of any dignity she had left. I can not say who is right in the situation maybe she wanted to stay alive at all costs and maybe she wanted to be unplugged. The thing is she didn't make her feelings clear either way and that is what started this whole mess. So from this I say make sure you make your wishes in this clear to your family, all sides of them. Make out a living will. Tell your Doctor as well. Take out an ad in the news paper just in case. I don't know what all you can do but whatever you do make your wishes well known to your inner circle. For me I want to be unplugged and now you all know that. I may not know what you want to do and if I have to make the decision with no knowledge of your wishes I will unplug you too. So if that isn't what you want you had better let me know. That is if you are leaving me as the decision maker and well I don't see that happening unless you are my parents or Brad and I already know what they want me to do.

No comments: