Sunday, February 12, 2006

My Doppleganger

So I totally forgot about this until the other day but I had meant to blog about this. It seems as though I have one of those faces that people look at and it reminds them of someone. I can not even tell you how many times I have been asked if I have a sister, or if I have met someone I haven't met before. To be honest I find this really annoying. I don't fancy myself to be beautiful or striking or anything but I don't want to be so ordinary that any number of people look like me. So really I would rather people not notice me at all then to notice me and think of someone they know. I suppose this might not make sense to a lot of you but it is just something that bugs me. Well now on to my point with this post. A couple of weekends ago Brad and I were given tickets to go see the new Getty Villa Museum that was opening that weekend. Since Brad had never been there when the old getty was there he had never experienced the incredible grounds that surround the museum. They also had done a lot of renovation since I had been there when it was the old Getty so we decided to go on a tour to introduce us to the place. We were given these little head set thingies so we could hear the tour guide no matter where we were in the group and she didn't have to speak above her normal talking voice. I had the head set on and was listening to our guide when we walked by the food cart and eating area. An older woman began to wave in my direction and said, "I can't believe I am seeing you again twice in one week, how odd." Since I had the head phones on and was in a large group I assumed she was talking to someone near me and not me so I continued to walk around. Later in the day Brad and I were in the gift shop looking at books to grow an herb garden. I hear a woman behind me saying Maria over and over again progressively louder. Well I am not now nor have I ever even pretending to be a Maria so I ignored the annoying lady behind me. SO the lady gets Brad's attention and asks him, "isn't that my Maria?" Brad responded, "No that is my fiancee Karin." The woman then looked at me very confused and said, "but she looks just like Maria same long red hair and everything." I chose to continue to ignore her. Later though I thought about it and decided I missed a great opportunity. I should have given the woman my card and told her to have Maria call me. Why not finally get my doppleganger in cahoots with me instead of annoying me all the time. Ah well I screwed up. At least though I now know her name so the next person that asks me if we've met I will say no you are thinking of Maria. I also figure I can blame her for all the naughty things I do. So Maria you better watch out I am going to be bad and I am blaming it on you.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Maria,Maria, I just met a girl named Maria!! Sounds like a good song! Sorry I just couldn't resist. After the past 24 hrs and 18+inches of snow, we have kinda lost our minds, then Brad's call that it is 84 and sunny in LA..So much for you guys ever needing a snow shovel!! Have a great day.

Karin said...

Actually Sandy Brad was wrong by the time we got to lunch it was 90 in down town Culver City.

JD I look forward to your ideas to torture Maria. Boy will she be sorry she shares my face. I hope the old lady didn't tell her my name.

Unknown said...

I'm lucky I have one of those faces that doesn't stand out - most people have trouble rememvbering my name. Which is good, coz I can get up to baughty things too and no one will remember who did it. Count me in!