Sunday, February 27, 2005

The Weather Man Cometh

So it seems as though it has rained every weekend this year. I love the rain so this is not that big of a nuisance to me but after awhile I began to wonder if I was indeed still living in Southern California and not Northern. The weather man has said all week that it will again rain today, Sunday. Well the weather was wrong. You would think since there really isn't that much weather here he could get the little we do have right. This being said I am quite glad the weather man was wrong. Today is beautiful. One of those days you really only get in Southern California. So Brad and I being the nice day lovers we are decided to take a picnic lunch and find some place nice to eat it. We call these little adventures the Brad and Karin Day of Fun! Apparently a lot of other people thought sandwiches were a good idea too because when we got to the deli we were number 57 and they were on 14 so we waited because it goes very fast there. We got our sandwiches and started to leave as they were calling #61 Brad then looked at the ticket to see how far back it was and it was #60 so 100 people were waiting for sandwiches. Crazy huh? So we decided to go South and hit Dockweiler beach and sit on out picnic chairs and have lunch overlooking the ocean. It was beautiful and a good temp. It is also cool because the beach is right near LAX so the whole time you get to watch the planes taking off. It is days like these that make me happy to just be alive and witness the awesomeness of nature. Oh and we bought Pepsi to drink with lunch and both bottles were winners for an itune song. This may or may not been a fluke I will not say.

Last night Brad and I went to a cocktail party at a couple that we met at the synague. We had only met them the week before so they were basically strangers to us and we would know no one else at the party. We went anyway and have now made new friends that are also members of our temple. It is a little odd because I don't know who else would do something like that. The other thing that is odd is that somehow we attract people to us that are as open and laid back as we are. This wouldn't seem as big of deal if we were doing the approaching or inviting but most of the time others approach us. It is kind of cool that we are getting more young couples as friends that we seem to have a lot in common with. It is nice how the network seems to work itself out. I had worried some time back that the older you got the harder it was to make friends. This compounded with old friends moving away or losing touch led me to believe that eventually it would just be me and Brad and whatever little family we eventually make. I guess though that will not be the case for us. New people are coming into our lives and filling the holes left by old departed friends. So as long as we are open to making new friends people will come to be friends. I also think that perhaps this is happening more now than before is due to me. Brad has always been outgoing and willing to make new friends, but I have been intimidated by new people. I guess I never quite felt comfortable with who I was and didn't feel good enough for other people. Something has changed in me though now in that I am not only comfortable with who I am, I am proud of me. I like that I am a pastry chef. I like that I am engaged to the man I always dreamed of. I am happy with where I live and am comfortable with having people see it. Yes there are things I want to change in my life and in our home but I am to the point where I realize that nothing is perfect and it is ok. So now I am willing to be outgoing and start conversations with others or at least hold up my end of it.

No comments: