Monday, February 28, 2005

The neighbor cornered me.

I was coming home from Hebrew class and then my meeting with the Rabbi. I was hungry and tired and still needed to talk to my boss as to what time I was working tomorrow when a slightly annoying neighbor caught me and kept me talking outside my garage. Now I am not found of this guy because whenever we are doing things to improve the complex he always throws a fit about it. He tries to ruin it for everyone even when we are getting something great like new garage doors. I don't even know his name and I am pretty sure he doesn't know mine either. So am stuck on the verge of being home but just outside. I make polite small talk and for the second time in one day I am told I have a Jewish soul? I guess it is a good thing I am converting so that my soul will match the rest of me. I found it ok when the Rabbi said it but when a guy I don't even know said it out of the blue it seemed a bit eerie. What does that mean anyway? Is it a compliment or a slur I didn't get? Anyway I had decided I was quite done talking to this guy and I was trying to figure a way out. I was thinking of different scenarios that would get me inside but none seemed the right choice. Just as I was beginning to think was hopelessly trapped my phone began to ring. Oh I have to go that is probably my boss calling. I turned bolted inside grabbed the phone and closed the garage behind me. So thankyou Andrew for saving me from the bore I wasn't interested in talking to, I owe you one.

While I am still not loving Hebrew at least it makes some sense. Once you know the letters you can sound it out. The down side is a lot of the letters look the same and I worry that once my vision starts to go I will no longer see the small differences in the letters. Oh well by then I will have already been bat mitzot.

2 comments:

Karin said...

I guess my question was more in what the neighbor meant by it and not the Rabbi. It is a little odd for somenone you don't know to say it without a lot of context. When the Rabbi said it I felt honored. We actually talked about prayer being in a Minyan at Torah study on Sunday, so it is funny you mention it. We discussed the uniqueness of the fact that Jews are the only group that are commanded to pray as a group and what the impact that has on Jewish society.

oceansmiles said...

I found your site because I was trying to name my second blog CHOCOLATE CARS! And the name was taken, so I had to see who on earth had the same (v cool) idea? CONGRATS on your wedding and you and your beloved DO look stylin' in your photos! How exciting! Smile, breathe, enjoy.

~A stranger on the east coast!