Friday, January 20, 2006

I need your thoughts and prayers

I received a call this morning from my Mom. She had been called by my oldest brother to let her know of an emergency. My great niece who is now 7 months old rolled of her Mom's bed this morning and landed on the tile floor below. They rushed her to the hospital and had x-rays done. The babies neck is ok but she did crack her skull. They then put the baby and my 17 year old niece and sent them to the Hospital in Tampa which I guess is a couple of hours away. The hospital in Tampa will be keeping an eye on her and holding her overnight. They will also make a determination as to whether or not the baby will have to have surgery. The baby is currently responsive and happy so the first hospital thinks she will be ok but a cracked skull on a baby is not something you mess with. There is however another problem in all of this, my great niece has no insurance. You see there is a hole in the system that makes the baby no one's problem to insure. She is not my brother's child so his insurance will not pick her up. Since my niece is a minor and still my brother's dependent Medicaid or other government insurance programs won't insure her either. So this is going to be a very costly day and my poor niece will be paying for this for a very long time. Not the best way to start your grown up life. So for all of this I am asking you guys out there to keep baby MaKayla and her young Mother, Megan in your thoughts and prayers. I will update this post as soon as I hear more.

update: The doctors in Tampa have examed MaKayla and they think that the fracture will heal on it's own. They are keeping her overnight to keep an eye on her. Aparently MaKayla is a very active baby and they were surprised this is the first time that this has happened. Hopefully this will teach Megan to use the playpin and not her bed as a place to leave the baby to hang out.

4 comments:

The Q said...

Oh man, this totally made me tear up. Having a baby Niece that I worry about a lot, it really hit close to home.

I'm happy the Tampa Drs think she'll be fine, but how fricking SCARY in the meantime. I hope your Niece does consider using a playpen here on out for sure!!!

I'll still continue to send good thoughts their way as the no insurance thing just sucks.

{{{Megan and MaKayla}}}
:::good vibes are coming:::

Karin said...

Thank you so much Soozieq. It is really hard for me because as much as I dislike my oldest brother and my sister inlaw. Megan is a good kid that is really sweet. She was never given any options about whether or not she was ready to be a Mom and she is doing the best she can. I worry about her because with every step I see her life getting harder for her and I wish she could turn things around. I hate there is nothing I can do, but I really do love Megan and her baby and I want the very best for them.

Sandy said...

Karin,
I've recruited the "troops" to include You,your neice and great neice in their prayers! I've got an extensive network and they are all in place! With all the love and support we are sending,she will sure heal! With lots of love,
Sandy aka KFMIL

Karin said...

FMIL- Thank you so much for enabling the troups. I worry about Megan dealing with so much debt from this.

Kylz- No you are still treated but you have to wait longer for treatment frequently then people with insurance. Also Doctors and hospitals give discounts to insurance companies, so if you don't have insurance you have to pay for all treatment out of your own pocket at a much higher rate. A 2 hour ambulance ride in and of itself will be thousands of dollars.